September Goals

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

 

me + Bash

Every month I like to assess my goals as they relate to my BIG GOAL. I look at what I achieved the past month and what adjustments I need to make, then I set my determine if I need to adjust my goal for the month based on what horses are doing what and where they are. I typically have varying goals for each horse as well. I wouldn't expect my four year old to be working in the same way as my older horses. 

I think it's important when working with horses to be flexible in our goal setting. While our BIG GOAL shouldn't change, the way we get there should as we achieve things with horses, there are injuries, or weather or just life getting in the way. Overall, the horse has to come first. 

I had wanted to run Bash this December at The All In. But due to my health and some personal factors that just wasn't going to happen. Yes I could have pushed him and gone, but ultimately it wouldn't have been the best experience for him. It wouldn't have added to the longevity of his career, and I likely would have spent the money to go without a real chance of placing or winning anything. 

That's part of my goal setting as well. And if your goal is to make money at this it should be part of yours as well. This sport is expensive, and if we are constantly entering places without a chance of winning then what you're doing is a hobby. If it's a hobby then that's amazing, and I applaud you. I personally cannot and do not want to pay $1200 entry fees for my hobby. 

My goals for this month for each horse are: 
  • Hootie: start bringing back into shape, building muscle on the toppling
  • PopTart: nothing until we get the x-rays on her spine
  • Karma: fully wean by the end of the month (we're doing gradual weaning)
  • Bash: no fear when someone is on the mounting block next to him fully saddled
  • Disco: help my stepchild get her under saddle (she's been riding bareback at liberty)
My riding/horse goals for me this month are:
  • continue core building exercises
  • incorporate yoga into morning routine
My actual barrel racing goals are not even on the table currently as I have an older gelding, my main mare is worrying me with her health, and then I have the baby and my gelding who isn't started yet. This would have worried me in the past, but now I'm perfectly fine because I know how to adjust my milestones along the way to my Big Goal. 

I am working on a digital goal setting planner specifically for barrel racers, so hopefully soon I'll be ready for some testers. If you'd be interested make sure you're following me on social media. 

Until next time. 





No comments

Post a Comment