YOU CAN SIT WITH ME

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

PopTart & Me

What's with all the mean girls?

Through various reasons like it's the height of summer in the desert where I live, PopTart is still nursing Karma, Hootie is out of shape (and I'm not going to get a 20 year old gelding into shape when it's 100 degrees out), and Bash is working on being starting I haven't been riding. I've also had some health struggles which are way worse in the summer. 

All of this to say I've been online more than I typically like to be. Because I've been online more, I've been trying to be more involved in the local horse scene. I also wanted to coach more, but I'm mostly cured of that now. And this type of behavior is partly why.  

I am sure that no matter what area you're in there are the cliques and the bullies and the mean girls. I just typically never notice because I'm so busy doing my things. This summer I just didn't have many things going on, so I got to do a lot of observing and talking to people and listening and learning. 

I know I've written about this before, but it weighs heavy on my mind. It weighs on me because for every supportive person I see cheering others on and encouraging them and offering helpful insights, I see double that making fun of folks for any number of reasons. I've seen people getting made fun of for not having a $3000 saddle or not driving brand new rigs or having a grade horse or their weight. I've seen some people doing both things. They'll have multiple social media accounts, and on one they're sweet as honey while on the other one they're lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. For those ones, I just wonder...do they think we can't see it's the same person in those videos? 

Anyway, if you're local to my area and I'm ever hauling some to a local jackpot or event, feel free to sit with me. I'm probably bringing some out for exposure or to work out some issues, my truck and trailer aren't brand new, and I'm currently riding in a Hilason because I couldn't afford to spend $2K+ on a new saddle no matter how much I wanted one. I have stuff that I can afford without going broke and it's safe, fits my horses, and works for now until I can afford more. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'll judge the hell out of someone who runs injured horses, abuses one, runs one that is underweight, and if you watch you'll see me cringe at the mouths gaped wide open as the rider balances on the reins and yanks at a horse who is already giving their all while whipping them with an over-under. I'll never judge a beginner, or someone trying their best to get with their horse, or anyone genuinely trying and being a partner with their animal no matter what tack they have on or what they pulled up in. 

Some of y'all need to learn some damn manners. 






 




 

No comments

Post a Comment